There are many pros and cons about the invention of gunpowder.
- Reduced price for armies- armies much cheaper because they did not need as many musketeers
- Guns are much more effective than bows and arrows
- Sieges occur at faster rates with the cannon and artillery
- Armies with gunpowder easily defeated armies without gunpowder
- Rifles had a significant advantage over those with swords
- Could pierce armor
- Had psychological effects on those not used to gunpowder
- Increased crime; let small groups have power (Gunpowder Plot)
- Recoil was a problem when guns were first being used
- Long reload time
- Expensive to make guns and cannons
- Early firearms were very inaccurate
- Early gunpowder was useless if it became damp
In conclusion, gunpowder was still in its 'experimental' stages until the 1500 when rifling and the wheel lock were invented. Gunpowder used before then was ineffective, but soon became very deadly after guns became accurate.